재단법인 한국동물보호협회

Eleven cats are staying at "the yellow room" of KAPS cat shelter.

ab242e226a19fff7a8e009bc42882c84.jpg

▲a 180-degree panoramic photograph of the yellow room

(The room looks spacious because of panorama, but actually it's a small room.

The yellow room was the last room where a cat could be accommodated. So, cats rescued after February go to the head of the association or to the volunteers' home for temporary protection. And If they are not adopted, they'll be waiting to be accepted in the next.)

Four cat sisters rescued at the end of December 2018 and brought here in March 2019 are staying at the yellow room. (Cats' name is : "Dang-geun(menas carrot)", "Hu-chu(means pepper)", "Dasima(means sea tangle)", "So-geum(means salt)" )

KakaoTalk_20190509_215622480_s.jpg KakaoTalk_20190509_232537248_s.jpg

▲From the left, "Dasima", "So-geum", "Dang-geun", and "Hu-chu".
(These four names were named by volunteer 'Han-na'. So-called kitchen four-set sisters!)

This is how they came here.

The end of December 2018, we received a call from a rented studio in Daemyung-dong, Nam-gu, Daegu.

“When the tenant had to leave the room, she abandoned her four cats instead of moving. She hasn't available for two weeks.”

........;;;;;

The house owner found this cats and fed them once every other day. But he was afraid of cats, and the smell were so bad that he had to clean the room. So he asked to take the cats.

.....-.-;;;;;

Unfortunately, the cats were wild cats that didn't follow people at all.

(Maybe one cat was domesticated by the owner, but the other three cats were not domesticated by the people at all.)

KAPS is a purely private organization run by private capital.

This year, last year, the year before last year...
We run shelter on a private level for alley cats. Continuously rescuing and accepting cats in shelter as much as possible, but the acceptable limit is already over.

There are more than 120 cats in the cat shelter, and there are some cats in the staff's home. In total, there are more than 135 cats in our association.

So we turned down the request at first. We told him to let the cat owner find her cats again. (But she still wasn't answer his message.)

Three days later, when we contacted him again, He has already requested Nam-gu Office to take the cats.

We can predict what happens to the cats when they are taken from the district office.
(From the district office's point of view, if adoption is not possible after 10 days of notice, they have no choice but to euthanize. That's the law in Korea. In Korea, there are 100,000 abandoned animal a year. When citizens report an abandoned animal to the district office, it is sent to 'abandoned pet sanctuary'. Each animal arriving there will cost 200,000won in taxes to take care of for 10 days. We can't expect that the district office take responsibility for the abandoned animals to the end.)

We could know through the district office manager that the cat owner gave up ownership, and that the studio owner agreed to the idea of sending the cats to the government shelter.
(Has she ever thought about what the future of four cats would be like by  abandoning them?)

According to the current law, animal abandonment is a penalty clause. However, if the owner gives up ownership, there will be no crime of abandonment.

We hope to turn animal abandonment into a criminal law as soon as possible and turn it into a fine that allows police prosecution regardless of the owner's abandonment of ownership.

Anyway..

It is already midwinter on December 27, 2018.

Four cats were living in a house in which the boiler is not working in that cold weather without person caring for them.

In addition, the studio owner opened window to ventilate the room. (The temperature drops below zero at night.)

KakaoTalk_20190528_120826766_s.jpg KakaoTalk_20190528_120827937_s.jpg KakaoTalk_20190528_120826952_s.jpg KakaoTalk_20190528_120827327_s.jpg KakaoTalk_20190528_120827428_s.jpg KakaoTalk_20190528_120827891_s.jpg

▲The cats left at home

The cat shelter of the KAPS is full, so if we rescue them, they will go to the head of the association private home or the staff's home.

They are likely to go to the home of the head of the association because they are cats that are afraid of people and have a strong wild nature.

They looks like a house cat, but they are wild cats who were scared enough to hide in window gaps on cold days to avoid people.

If they go to the abandonment animal center through the district office, they will be euthanized at 100% or died from stress..

Four cats are females, and they were not neutered. I'm sure they are not inoculated.

I saw the cats' fearful eyes. So I can't let it go to the district office. I decided to rescue them for the last time in 2018.

(The other staffs said "I knew you'd do that~")

When the KAPS arrived at the room, rescue operation was not as easy as I thought.

When people get close, the cats jump and ran away.

KakaoTalk_20190528_214951449_s.jpg KakaoTalk_20190528_215014838_s.jpg

In addition, in the middle of winter, a toilet ventilator was opened without a screen.

Three cats hide toilet ceiling because the studio owner opened the toilet door to ventilate..

We rescued them with difficultly.

The first day, we can rescue three cats, and the last one 'Hu-chu', the youngest cat, was rescued the next day because it was so deep hidden that we couldn't find it.

Anyway...

After the rescue, during the two months at the head of the association, they climbed or bounced on the wall every time a person tried to make contact. They also gave a gruding look, as they say, "why did you kidnap me?"

Of course, we know that cats are hard to adapt to their new surroundings.

But we said 'If I didn't bring you here, you had nowhere else to go..'

Every time I inoculate them, I neutralize them, the place has became a battlefield.

But now, they are doing well with the other cats in the yellow room of the cat shelter.

I think they've become a little close to people.

Images of 'Dasima', 'Hu-chu', 'So-geum', and 'Dang-geun', adapted to the shelter, are prepared below.

KakaoTalk_20190528_224015487_s.jpg KakaoTalk_20190528_224015885_s.jpg KakaoTalk_20190528_224016663_s.jpg KakaoTalk_20190528_224018511_s.jpg KakaoTalk_20190528_224019163_s.jpg

KakaoTalk_20190528_224019553_s.jpg

Without intention, the yellow room is embracing only wild cats rescued from late December 2018 to February 2019.

I hope they will stay healthy and feel happy with their shelter family.

And I hope again that they can be friends with the cat shelter volunteers...

lease be happy for a long time~
The KITCHEN FOUR-SET SISTERS~

PS. Thanks to Da-jung for wonderful translation to english

제목 날짜sort

수평이 구조이야기 file

• 2017-08-13

2016년 3월14일날 협회로 한통의 구조요청 전화가 걸려왔습니다. 장소는 대구시 중구 동덕로 수평빌딩, 전화주신 분은 수평빌딩의 기계실에 근무하시던 분이셨습니다. 낮동안 계속 고양이가 꼼작 않고 피를 흘리며 건물 마당에 앉아...

진순이 이야기 file

• 2017-08-11

협회 개보호소에는 진순이라는 진도 풍산 믹스의 백구가 한마리 있습니다. 진순이는 2015년 봄, 생후 4개월 가량일때 금선란 명예회장님이 직접 구조해오신 강아지입니다. 예쁜 외모와 발랄한 성격으로 보호소에서 사랑을 받으며 협...

Rescue story of Yoda file

• 2017-08-09

On May 23rd 2017 we received a call from someone, asking us to rescue a little kitten he had found. It had been abandoned by its mum and was left in the grounds of Son Chan-Hun Maternity clinic ...

대구 칠성 개고기시장에서 고기로 팔리던 5마리 새끼고양이 구조이야기

• 2016-10-04

2016년 7월 8일 대구의 매우 덥던 한여름 어느 날, 김영민 씨로부터 한 통의 전화를 받았습니다. 대구 칠성 시장의 개고기를 파는 가게 한쪽 작은 케이지 속에 5마리 새끼고양이를 넣은 채로 고양이 고기로 팔고 있다는 말을...

3층 빈 원룸에 1달간 방치된 고양이 3마리

• 2016-10-04

2016년 2월 18일, 어느 날 보호소로 한 통의 전화가 걸려왔습니다. 원룸 임대아파트 관리소장님이신 신용기 씨는 협회로 전화를 걸어 야반도주한 세입자가 두고 간 3마리 고양이의 구조요청을 하였습니다. 세입자가 밀린 임대료 ...

어미 고양이를 잃고 방치된 4마리 고양이 형제들

• 2016-10-04

2016년 4월 26일, 임정욱 씨는 집 근처에서 4마리 고양이가 어미를 잃고 방치된 것을 발견하였고 어미는 새끼들 근처에서 죽은 채 누워 있는 것을 발견 하였습니다. 정욱 씨는 죽은 어미 고양이를 묻어준 뒤 협회로 전화를 하...

고속도로에 버려져 있던 새끼고양이 '치즈' 구조 이야기

• 2016-10-04

아직 날씨가 추웠던 2015년 2월 20일 서울에 사는 최원형 씨에게 한 통의 구조 전화를 받았습니다. 원형 씨는 일 때문에 대구를 방문했다가 고속도로 갓길에 버려져 있는 생후 1달 반 남짓의 새끼고양이를 발견하고 협회로 전...

양팔이 구조 이야기 file

• 2016-07-14

2016년 2월22일 대구 달서구 대천동 한 공장지대에서 공장앞 화단에 잘 움직이지 못하는 고양이가 있다는 전화를 받고 협회 직원이 구조하러 갔을때 모습. 길고양이로 나이가 많은 숫컷으로 아마도 교통 사고를 당해 머리가 심하...

봉팔이 구조이야기 file

• 2016-02-12

2016년 1월8일 금요일 오후 늦게 협회에서 한통의 전화 받았다. 달서구 성당동에 사는 최은희씨란 분 집 마당에 사고를 당한 탓인지 눈 한쪽이 반쯤 튀어나오고 얼굴이 엉망인 고양이가 한마리 나타났다는것이었다. 사실인즉은 그...